Kasturba Gandhi – The Beacon of Women Empowerment
“Behind every successful man there is a woman”.
We extend our tribute to Kasturba Gandhi (Baa) on her Birth Anniversary born on Aprill 11 ,1869. She got married at the age 13 and was very much influenced by her husband Mahatma Gandhi.
Mahatma Gandhi launched Civil Disobedience and Quit India Movement and Kasturba Gandhi was a front-liner in his Satyagraha. She would often step into the role of leading the movements when Gandhi was detained.
As we remember Mahatma Gandhi, the successful man, let us pay respectful homage to Kasturba – the successful woman behind the successful man!
- • In 1913, Baa protested against the inhuman working conditions of Indians in South Africa, for which she was punished with a three-month prison sentence.
- • She had an active presence in the Non-Cooperation and Civil Disobedience movements and despite her age, led the masses into a non-violent agitation against the colonial masters.
- • She became the face of Khadi and a champion for empowering indigenous workers into producing for their own, their homeland.
- • Her arrest for her role in the Quit India Movement was the last time she was ever behind the bars.
- • In her Memory, All India Kasturba Gandhi Memorial Center is serving people through education and health services around the nation.